Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Nine Men to Receive Degrees at 27th Commencement

Dr. Neil Stewart
The 27th Commencement exercises for nine senior Greenville Seminary students will be held at 6 p.m. Friday, May 19 at Fellowship Presbyterian Church, 1105 Old Spartanburg Rd. in Greer, S.C. We would be delighted to have you with us as we celebrate the Lord's work in the lives of our nine graduates. For more information (or if you have any questions), please call 864-322-2717, or email info@gpts.edu. A reception will follow the ceremonies.

Dr. Neil Stewart, pastor of Christ Covenant Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church in Greensboro, N.C. will deliver the commencement address.

Meet the Graduates

Ethan Jeffrey Bolyard, M.Div.

Hometown: Greenville, S.C.
College: Bob Jones University
Wife: Catherine Bolyard
Children: Isaac and Noah Bolyard
Memories of GPTS: During my studies at GPTS, I have grown in a number of ways. Doctrinally, I have gained a deeper understanding of the Christian faith as it is summarized in the Reformed confessions and catechisms. Practically, I have learned the primacy of Christ-centered expository preaching in the ecclesial context of the ordinary means of grace. Experientially, I have grown in my personal commitment to and communion with the Triune God.
Plans: After graduation, I hope to pursue pastoral ministry in a confessional and Presbyterian church.

Christopher J. Campbell, M.Div.

Hometown: Platte City, Missouri
Wife: Megan
Children: Elise, Noah, Lilliann, Ethan
Memories of GPTS: My time at Greenville has prepared me to fulfill the call which God has given to me, not only by providing me with the necessary biblical training but also with the practical tools and principles required to serve the people of God. Every professor is able to do this because he has served in the church, and therefore brings his ministry experience directly into the classroom. I appreciate these godly men who are called to serve the church by teaching the next generation of pastors. My prayer is that, by implementing what they have taught to me, I will be a useful servant in Christ’s Church unto the glory of God.
Plans: I received a call as pastor of Northland Reformed Church (RCUS) in Kansas City, Missouri, and began preaching full-time in January 2017. Lord willing, I will be ordained to the gospel ministry after graduation, and continue to serve the saints in Kansas City.

J. Scott Creel, M.Div.

Hometown: Orange Park, Fla.
College: University of Florida
Wife: Elizabeth M. Creel
Child: J. Preacley Creel
Memories of GPTS: GPTS is a special place; the staff and students quickly become a family even to those of us who are distance students. GPTS is a strong hold of orthodoxy in uncertain times; its commitment to the Word of God, historic Reformed Faith, and classical education lays a solid foundation for the men it trains for the ministry. I am grateful for her service to me and will miss studying under such godly men.
Plans: I have two internships beginning in June. A summer internship at Calvary OPC in Tallahassee, Fla. and a year-long internship at Redemption OPC in Gainesville, Fla. 

W. Joshua Hinson, M.Div.

Hometown: Jacksonville, Florida
Wife: Christen
Children: Camdyn, Cayde, Carsyn, Carolyne
Memories of GPTS: What I most appreciate about GPTS is its biblical commitment, confessional fidelity, and pastoral emphasis. I'm thankful for the seminary, the well-rounded curriculum, the professors, and the brothers I've met over the years — even as a distance student. I believe I'm leaving seminary, by God's grace, equipped for the task to which God has called me.  
Plans: For the last year and a half I've served as a pastoral intern at Ortega Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Jacksonville, Florida. Ortega recently called me to serve as their next senior pastor, beginning shortly after graduation on June 1st.  

Samuel Joseph Ketcham, M.Div.

Hometown: Birmingham, Alabama
College of Prior Study: United States Military Academy, West Point
Wife: Dorsey
Children: Seaborn, Sarah James, Thomas, and Benaiah
Memories of GPTS: It is difficult to sum up all my fond memories at Greenville Seminary.  I will miss the spiritual community (i.e. prayer meetings and chapels). I grow more and more thankful for the quality education and foundation that my professors have given me each day. I pray that many more students will come to GPTS and that it will continue to give a quality product to Christ’s Church.
Plans: In the short term, I hope to receive a call in the RPCNA and serve as a pastor. In the long term, I would like to plant an RPCNA in the South and move my family back towards home.

Aldis Matthew Lamos, M.Div.

Home area: South Jersey
College: University of Istanbul
Memories of GPTS: Greenville Seminary will give you extensive work in the original languages and with that a vision for how exegesis informs both theology and preaching. The professors seek to pass on a classically Reformed understanding of pastoral ministry and to help students begin a life-time journey of preaching the Biblical text with accuracy and passion. Along with this the student will get a thorough and solid grounding in systematic theology and an introduction to top level biblical-theological scholarship. As important as the class-room lectures are, it has been the atmosphere of this school — a community of pastors training pastors, with all that that entails  — that has helped me to see how, in actual practice, Reformed theology makes us into mirrors of Jesus Christ, the Friend of sinners.
Plans: After graduation, I hope to explore opportunities to work with Reformed churches in Dutch-speaking Europe, having previously served as a translator at a refugee relief organization.

John R. McCravy IV, M.A.

Hometown: Greenwood, S.C.
College: Lander University
Wife: Amy McCravy
Children: Ian, Ruth
Memories of GPTS: Amy and I are thankful for the legacy of GPTS in our lives. We've learned to trust the Triune God better in all things, and we've grown in our dependence on prayer and the Scriptures. Even if these years at GPTS were at times difficult, we will remember them as wonderfully sanctifying.
Plans: My plans for right now are to remain in Christian education at the high school level. I am currently teaching and serve as director of student life at Greenwood Christian School.

Tiantang Peng, M.Div.

Hometown: Minneapolis, Minn.
College: University of Rochester
Wife: Lianfang Liu
Children: Jing Peng, and Moriel Peng
Memories of GPTS: Every class was transformative, both exposing my errors and providing necessary corrections.
Plans: I will work on training among Chinese churches. 

Michael Thomas Spangler, M.Div.

Hometown: Winston-Salem, N.C.
College: Davidson College
Wife: Melissa
Child: Michael Jr.
Memories of GPTS: I came to Greenville because its graduates are some of the most faithful preachers and pastors that I know, and in my four years here I am grateful to have received a serious, thorough, and Christ-centered preparation for gospel ministry. As graduation approaches I pray that the Lord will continue to use what I studied to shape me into a herald of Christ's kingdom and a shepherd of Christ's sheep, and that he will continue to strengthen the seminary in its service to Christ and his church.
Plans: Internship, doctoral study, then ministry in the OPC