|GPTS: One of the new anchors on old Main Street in Taylors, S.C.|
For more than a decade, Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary has been a key player in the redevelopment of our home community of Taylors, S.C., and President Joseph Pipa Jr. recently discussed GPTS's role with a group of community backers.
GPTS moved from its humble beginnings in Greenville to the unincorporated suburb of Taylors in 1998, originally into a small former textile mill church building (formerly used by Methodists and Baptists) on Main Street, now occupied by Covenant Community Orthodox Presbyterian Church. Since 2008, the seminary campus has been located a few blocks west in the old Taylors High School building, which was abandoned in 1960 when a new high school was built. The building fell into ruin for several years until GPTS purchased it and undertook a five-year $3.5 million renovation.
|Remnants of Chick Springs|
In recent years, a grassroots non-profit organization calling itself Taylors Town Square was formed to promote community relations and advocate for further development, including the establishment of cottage industries, shops, art studios and a farmers market at the old mill and bleachery now owned by a real estate developer (scroll down to see photo below).
|Dr. Pipa speaking to the Taylors Town Square group|
Dr. Pipa noted that the seminary's Student Commons has been used for functions by numerous community groups, including the old Taylors High School alumni association, which has expressed delight over the rejuvenation of their old alma mater.
|Southern Bleachery & Print Works being quickened with new grassroots enterprises|
|The fourth Chick Springs Hotel and Resort, 1914. Earlier structures burned.|
This building became a military barracks and academy during WWI.
|Original Taylors Schoolhouse|
|Taylors High School in 1952 (original building burned in 1945)|
|"Eyesore" Taylors High School in ruins, 2004|
|Greenville Seminary today|
|Entry foyer — Welcome to GPTS|