Monday, December 8, 2014

GPTS Welcomes New Media Director

Martin and Lisa Dendekker
Greenville Seminary is blessed with state-of-the-art electronic classrooms where students around the nation and the world can participate in lectures in real time or download audio recordings of their classes. Directing this system along with other media services, such as our SermonAudio channel, is new international student Martin Dendekker, who assumed his position as media director earlier this semester, replacing Vernon Shoaf.

Mr. Dendekker hails from Woodstock, Ontario, where he and his wife Lisa are members of Grace Presbyterian Church (ARP), pastored by GPTS Board Chairman Jeff Kingswood. He credits Pastor Kingswood's guidance in helping clarify in his mind that he was being called to study theology at the seminary level. "Where or how I serve the church post-seminary is not clear at this point," he said when applying to GPTS. "I trust that God will make His way for us clear at His appointed time." The Dendekkers were married in May 2013.

Martin is a 2010 graduate (magna cum laude) from the University of Ottawa, where he was awarded an Honours Bachelor of Social Sciences degree. He majored in political science and history. From 2011 until he came to GPTS, Martin served as a special assistant to Ontario Provincial Parliament Member Randy Pettapiece in the Legislative Assembly. Prior to that he held a similar post in the office of Assembly Member Ernie Hardeman. While in college, he worked for Aecon Group, Inc. within the University of Ottawa's student co-op.

"I grew up in a Reformed environment with a strong Biblical foundation," he says. "I didn't come to faith, however, until 2008 when I was half-way through my studies at the University of Ottawa. The Lord worked in me during one of the most difficult periods of my life when everything I held close was falling apart. Since then, God through His Spirit has sanctified my head knowledge to my heart, reteaching me many things as well as teaching me many new things. I have been maturing in faith over the past six years."