Friday, May 2, 2014

Alumnus Planting New Asian Indian Church Near U.S. Capital

One of Greenville Seminary's 2011 graduates, Jagar Chinnavan, and his wife Jemima Jegar are preparing to launch a work to plant a new church in the Washington, D.C. area for Asian Indians. The church will be located in Fairfax, Virginia, and will be affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in America denomination.

Mr. Chinnavan presented his new work during a luncheon following his message during a missions chapel at GPTS April 16.

Jagar, Jemima and Sheena
"Looking back I see how God shaped my life to be more directly involved in building His kingdom," says Mr. Chinnavan. "Although a native of India and raised in Singapore, I was converted out of Hinduism, the acceptable religion of my native country."

He subsequently met and married his wife Jemima, the daughter of a Presbyterian minister and a licensed educator. They have one daughter, Sheena, 13 years old.

"Since coming to faith in the Lord Jesus Christ my want to serve Him in a meaningful way prompted my desire to be prepared for whatever calling I might receive. I completed a M.Div. Program at Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary and a Th.M. degree from Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary, Grand Rapids, Michigan," he says.

Previously, he received a B.S. degree at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Being fluent in English and Tamil, he worked for several technological / multi-national companies.

Contact and donation information is available on their web site here.