Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Year-end Message from GPTS President Joseph A. Pipa, Jr.

Hazael, King of Aram

As I have pondered the results of the recent presidential election, I am all the more aware of a major spiritual shift in our country and the need for revival. In light of this fact, I am greatly encouraged by the comment of the inspired historian in 2 Kings 13:22, 25, "Now Hazael king of Aram had oppressed Israel all the days of Jehoahaz. But the Lord was gracious to them and had compassion on them because of His covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and would not destroy them or cast them from His presence until now." For the sake of His covenant, God was willing to spare the apostate Northern Kingdom for a period of time. How much more willing is He to revive and reform His church in the United States, Canada, and Britain in these days? Although there are apostate churches in our lands, there are many Bible-believing denominations. Join with me in praying for God's covenant mercy to His church. Pray as well that we at Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary might have some role in the reformation of the church.

We rely on the benevolent giving of supporters to fulfill our mission. Your support for our ministry enables us to continue to serve the church and labor for reformation. Our dependence on the partnership of individuals like you is intentional: with your gifts to Greenville Seminary you help to underwrite about 70 per cent of our annual costs. In a day of rising educational costs, the Seminary remains committed to affordable, accessible theological education. Our students are burdened to preach the Gospel; we do not want them to graduate with a burden of financial debt.

Normally, we receive about 25 per cent of our individual gifts in the month of December. Our goal this December is to receive at least $180,000. As you may have read in our November e-newsletter, we are also making a concerted effort this year to increase giving from those who are able to give monthly. This will help significantly with evening out our cash flow. We've set an initial goal of increasing monthly gifts from an average of $11,000 to $22,000 by the end of this fiscal year (June 30). I am writing to ask you prayerfully to consider helping. The investment you make now can be used of God to reach future generations with men trained in the richness of the historic Christian faith. Keep in mind that we are a non-profit organization; therefore, every gift is tax-deductible. As a token of appreciation for any year-end gift, I will send you a copy of a DVD containing a lecture I gave this fall on "What the Rest of the Bible Says about Genesis." This lecture was born out of my own private study and has been a great encouragement to me, as I hope it will be to others.

Whether or not you are able to send a gift before the end of the year, please pray that God will bless our ministry and that He will continue to provide funds for the work. We are keenly aware of our dependence on God’s blessing, not only for financial provision but for wisdom, strength and integrity in every aspect of this ministry. We appreciate your care and concern for this school. Thank you and God bless. With warm regards and for the glory of God, I am

Yours in Christ,

Dr. Joseph A. Pipa, Jr.

P.S. Shortly after the election, we recorded a session of our weekly podcast centered on the spiritual and cultural shift of our nation. I hope that the information will be helpful to many. You can access the podcast from the GPTS podcast website: confessingourhope.com. It is the one dated, November 13, 2012.